Skip to main content

Quantitative methods in economics

I should clarify something I said last week about how this data and statistics course I'm prepping isn't really a standard course: I do know there are lots of econ departments that offer an economic statistics course that is a step below econometrics. I guess what I was thinking is that the intention behind this course was specifically to give students tangible skills working with data, so there is supposed to be a heavy emphasis on finding and accessing economic data and using Excel to manipulate that data, rather than on formulas and statistical theory (which students presumably should have already had anyway, in a lower-division required statistics course). But my impression is that a lot of econ statistics courses for majors at other schools are really more stats courses, just with econ-related examples*.

The interesting thing is that the Siegfried, et al, report ("The Status and Prospects of the Economics Major, JEE, Summer 1991) discusses this very situation (emphasis mine):
Originally conceived as a means of providing students with a sufficient empirical foundation to enrich their understanding and facilitate their active participation in applied courses, the [quantitative methods] requirement all too often fails to fulfill this purpose. Although this requirement presupposes the development of skills in working with real data, contrived numerical examples are more common in these courses... These courses are often overloaded and taught at too fast a pace to adequately prepare students for the empirical dimension of elective courses. Frequently, data appraisal (e.g., survey design, sampling procedures, data accuracy) is squeezed out of the course, and some quantitative methods courses fail to cover adequately the philosophy, appropriate use, and limitations of hypothesis testing and regression analysis. Sophistication in empirical work requires more than just training in statistics. It requires attention to observation skills, measurement problems, and empirical judgment. Students need guidance on how to judge the quality of data, and how to identify evidence that would help to resolve an empirical dispute.

I think that this is what my department was likely striving for when we originally adopted this course. Over the years, instructors have tried to retain the emphasis on data but the content seems to be more along the lines of 'contrived numerical examples'; students use lots of real data and have assignments to make graphs and charts in Excel but from what I can tell, there is still more focus on formulas and statistical concepts than the 'art' of using data to resolve economic questions.

As I plan this course, I am definitely striving for something more along the lines of what Siegfried, et al, suggest:
Rather than view this as a matter of learning statistics, we need to ask what it is that student must know to function as economists. The foundation of empirical methods depends on (1) knowing something about the measurement of economic variables (methods of data collection, reliability, etc.); (2) being able to organize, work with, and manipulate data for purposes of comparison; (3) the capacity to test hypotheses with empirical data; and (4) knowing how to interpret the results of various statistical procedures.

In the framework of backward design, that pretty much lays out my learning outcomes (what I want my students to be able to do). Now I just have to figure out how to achieve this...

* If I am wrong about this, I would really love to hear from people who teach more data- and application-driven courses. As an undergrad advisor, I've seen a lot of requests from transfer students who want to take an econ stats course somewhere else and have it count the same as our course but they rarely look comparable (or at least, they don't look like the course that we think we have, though now that I'm taking a closer look at what my colleagues have been teaching, I think the courses at other schools may be closer than we thought). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do...

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu...

Economics Education sessions at ASSA

If I missed any, please let me know... Jan 07, 2011 8:00 am , Sheraton, Director's Row H American Economic Association K-12 Economic and Financial Literacy Education (A2) Presiding: Richard MacDonald (St. Cloud State University) Teacher and Student Characteristics as Determinants of Success in High School Economics Classes Jody Hoff  (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco) Jane Lopus (California State University-East Bay) Rob Valletta (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco) [Download Preview] It Takes a Village: Determinants of the Efficacy of Financial Literacy Education for Elementary and Middle School Students Weiwei Chen (University of Memphis) Julie Heath (University of Memphis) Economics Understanding of Albanian High School Students: Student and Teacher Effects and Specific Concept Knowledge Dolore Bushati (University of Kansas) Barbara Phipps (University of Kansas) Lecture and Tutorial Attendance and Student Performance in t...