Skip to main content

Every teacher is different too

My last post made an analogy between kids and classes, noting that every kid/class is different for reasons that may have nothing to do with the parents/instructor. Personally, I definitely need the reminder of how much that goes on with my classes is outside my control. But part of the reason it's so easy to forget is that at the same time, instructors clearly can make a difference. To return to the parents/kids analogy: even when children in the same family are quite different from each other, there are often still behavioral similarities across families that are clearly a result of parenting. For example, in Family A, the older boy is out-going and loud while the younger girl is relatively quiet and shy, but when one of the parents says, "It's time for bed," both children whine and drag their feet, or ignore the parents entirely, continuing to play and run around. In Family B, the younger boy is the gregarious one while the older boy is artistic and sensitive, but when one of the parents says, "It's time for bed," both children respond pretty much immediately, getting changed into pj's and going about the bedtime routine.

I don't have kids so I have no firsthand knowledge why these differences really arise but my observation is that in families like Family A, the parents are not very consistent about discipline, and in families like Family B, they are. But if you asked the parents in Family A, my guess is that they would say that their kids are just 'hard to handle' or 'naturally rambunctious' and that Family B is simply 'blessed' with 'good-natured' kids.

Similarly, I think that some instructors encounter issues with their classes that they blame on things outside their control but the problem really is something about them. This is particularly true when the issues are things that actually do seem outside the instructor's control. Student complaints about a foreign accent is a good example - that certainly seems like something outside the instructor's control. But why do students only complain about the accent of some foreign-born instructors and not all instructors with accents? Similarly, it is certainly common for attendance to be lower in super-sized classes but why does one large-class instructor have only 50% attendance when another large-class instructor routinely has attendance closer to 80%?*

My point is that while yes, each class has its own 'personality' and some classes pose challenges for no apparent reason, I don't think we should take that too far; there is still plenty within the instructor's control. I would rather err on the side of thinking it's me when it's actually them, than thinking it's them when it's actually me. I guess one way to keep in things in perspective is to stay vigilant for issues that transcend courses (e.g., when students across multiple sections and semesters all complain that my lectures are confusing) and try not to worry quite so much about the issues that fluctuate from class to class (e.g., when one class is particularly cluseless while another is completely on-the-ball).

* Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that things like foreign accents or class size do not make a difference, all else equal. I have no doubt that my colleagues with strong accents must actually be better teachers than native-born teachers in order for students to consider them equally good. But while these things might matter ceteris paribus, it's also clear that instructors can compensate for them if they work at it. I just think some instructors use these things as excuses not to do that work (or to be more charitable, maybe I should say that it simply may not occur to some instructors that the problem could still be something within their control).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu