Skip to main content

Analogies are to teaching as...

My boyfriend's daughter is applying to colleges so there has been a whole lot of SAT and ACT talk going on lately. She's actually focusing more on the ACT, which I know nothing about since I only took the SAT, so we've talked a little about the differences. In general when interacting with this young lady, I have tried very hard to avoid using the phrase "When I was younger..." (since apparently nothing makes you sound older to a teenager than referring to your own childhood) but when I found out that the SAT no longer has analogy questions, I couldn't stop myself. When did the analogies get dropped?!?* Of course, back in high school, I had no idea why the analogy questions were even on the test (not that I spent a lot of time thinking about it back then either but I do remember thinking that they were sort of weird). But as a teacher, I've found that a well-constructed analogy can often make a world of difference in my students' understanding. I was reminded of this the other day by Dr. Goose who uses what struck me as an awesome analogy related to the standard conservative argument for cutting taxes:
"Writing in the Wall Street Journal on the "Three Policies That Gave Us the [Steve] Jobs Economy," Amity Shlaes cites the slashing of the capital gains rate from a confiscatory 49% to 25% in 1978. Building on this evidence, she reaches the silly conclusion that "taxes on capital should always be lowered, and dramatically." One might just as easily conclude that, because a diet improved one's physique, that mealtime portions should always be dramatically lowered, too."
On the other hand, a poorly-constructed analogy can create even more confusion than you started with. Case in point: I had read about Herman Cain's 'apples and oranges' comments during the Republican debate the other night and like a lot of people, I thought he was making no sense (if you didn't hear about it, you can read the transcript and see the clip here). But somewhere in the third time I watched/read Cain's exchange with Romney, I finally realized that Cain's point is that his plan is intended to replace the federal tax structure (that's the oranges) and regardless of what one thinks we should do about that federal structure, no one is talking about any changes to state tax structures (that's the apples). The problem is that because his plan includes a sales tax, which everyone associates with state tax structures, it's not unreasonable for people to wonder how his plan would interact with the state taxes. So Cain's oranges and apples analogy was referring to who collects the tax (which is different: federal or state) but everyone else was talking about the type of tax (which is the same: sales) so his analogy seemed to make no sense.

One of the principles in How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching is about how students' prior knowledge can help (or hinder) their learning. Analogies in teaching are all about connecting new ideas to other ideas that students already understand. Do you have favorite analogies you use when teaching?

* If anyone reading this doesn't know what I'm talking about when I refer to the SAT analogy questions, well, go ask your parents...

Comments

  1. Economics: Economy as Physician:
    (a) Patient
    (b) Medicine
    (c) Scalpel
    (d) Money
    (e) Laboratory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words regarding my tax-cutting analogy. I was floored to learn that analogies have disappeared from the SAT; I would draw an analogy about this development, but then your younger readers might not get it, evidently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments that contribute to the discussion are always welcome! Please note that spammy comments whose only purpose seems to be to direct traffic to a commercial site will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu