Skip to main content

A flexible #dayofhighered

Over at Inside Higher Ed, Lee Bessette has called for April 2 as a "day of higher ed", in response to the Washington Post nonsense about how faculty are overpaid. I assume most readers of this blog have heard about the WP article but if you missed it, the general idea is the same old crap about how teachers have large amounts of time 'off' since apparently, the only real work we do is when we are in the classroom (I should note that the author specifically targeted those at teaching schools and community colleges, since apparently, we don't have to do research - HA!). Since my research (irony!) is on K-12 education, I hear all these same arguments about how K-12 teachers are overpaid all the time. On a personal level, I find such comments incredibly annoying but on a larger societal level, I actually find them dangerous - I think the belief that teachers at all levels are overpaid, lazy, etc., contributes to the general erosion of support for education that we've seen over the last several decades.

Of course, the economist in me has a problem anytime someone uses phrases like 'overpaid' but I'll write about that later. What is on my mind right now is *why* the perception persists that academics work less than everyone else. I think it is, at least in part, because most people don't understand what we do, combined with/because of the flexibility we have to do what we do. Most non-academics have no idea what is involved in writing a research paper or prepping a class; all they see is that some faculty are not in their offices for large chunks of time. Although telecommuting is becoming more common, the simple reality is that most people equate being 'in the office' with 'working'; therefore, the fact that faculty only seem to be 'in the office' around the time they are teaching must mean that teaching is working and by extension, the rest of the time is not working.

While we all know this is inaccurate, the one piece of this logic that sort of holds is that when we are not teaching, we don't have to be working. Outside of the hours I am in the classroom (and to a lesser extent, my designated office hours), I have almost complete freedom to decide how to structure my time. If I want to sleep in until 10am on a Monday, or spend my morning running errands (or writing a blog post :-)), I can do that, since I don't have to be at school until later in the day. Of course, I spent most of my weekend in front of my computer so the same total amount of work gets done - but that time is 'invisible' to the rest of the world. I think most academics would admit that one of the huge perks of our job is this flexibility but it comes with the cost of people not 'seeing' our work. There are a few other professions where people have similar flexibility but the output generated during those invisible work hours is more obvious - really, writers are the only other comparable occupation I can think of, and academic research articles do not have nearly the visibility of mainstream books or essays.

There is also a limit to academic flexibility. Another aspect of our work that most non-academics never think about or acknowledge is that the parts of our job that are not flexible are REALLY not flexible. Specifically, the academic schedule - the part of our job that is most visible to everyone else - is completely inflexible and mostly outside our control (other than the fact that some of us, not all, have the luxury of choosing the time slots of our classes). I may not have to be at school until 1pm today but when I say I have to be there, I mean I really HAVE to be there - I don't get to re-schedule a class because I'm sick or need to take a 'personal day' (a term that I don't actually understand but have heard non-academics use when they need to deal with the unexpected things life throws at us). I certainly can't take a vacation when classes are in session. Yes, I realize that I have a month in December, and three months in the summer, when I can take whatever vacation I want, but if my friends from college all decide to meet up for a reunion week in mid-April that doesn't coincide with my spring break, it is highly unlikely I can join them (and even if I do manage to work around my classes, like putting stuff online, I would still be checking email obsessively for messages from students and be feeling incredibly guilty about trying to manage my classes remotely).

I'm particularly thinking about this today because I have a cold and honestly, I feel like crap. I am toying with the idea of canceling my office hours, because I know that it is unlikely anyone will show up and even if they do, their questions are likely to be something I could answer via email. But I don't have a fever and I'd have to be pretty much incapacitated before I'd cancel a scheduled class so I'm still going to school for that. If I worked in a regular office, I would probably take a sick day or I would try to work from home (to the extent that was possible and if I had a boss who would let me do that). Either way, it would be 'acceptable' work behavior in the non-academic world but neither is an option when you have classes to teach (or at least when you teach classes interactively and can't just throw your lecture or notes online).

I guess my point is that the way academics work is simply so different from the way most non-academics work that it shouldn't be surprising that so many non-academics don't get what we do. I think part of the reason academic reaction to the Washington Post article has been so strong is that the author actually used to work in academia so supposedly, he should know better - in my opinion, that just highlights the divide in academia between those who care about teaching and those who don't, which is a slightly different problem. Anyway, as teachers who do care, and who are sick of feeling under-valued and unappreciated, how do we make what we do more transparent to the rest of the world? I don't have much confidence that simply telling people how many hours we actually work has much impact because they just can't comprehend how those hours of work are possible when they don't *see* the work. How do we teach the world what teachers actually do?

Comments

  1. It's as if the only time a surgeon works is when she's in the OR, or the only time a lawyer works is in a courtroom.

    Can you imagine the uproar among doctors or lawyers if people applied the same type of argument to their working days as the Post op-ed applies to teachers?

    There are analogies, but we have to work to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite analogies - I think it was from Dean Dad - is that this is like saying athletes are only working when actually competing. By that measure, sprinters are the most over-paid people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I have little invested in the debate. I have been teaching as an adjunct for six years. Before this I was in sales. It is a sales job. We sell the Western inherited cultural experience. When students buy into this we are happy and they get good grades.
    The attack on education (including the 'education bubble') is an attack on the foundations of Western culture. I see this attack made from the educators - and that only adds to the fire. (See Adjuncts on Linked-In: Martin.)
    The attacks on the Humanities are particularly bizarre as it is the Humanities that define thought.
    I knew we were in trouble when the attacks on the Humanities were couched in language such as this: 'Philosophy hasn't any answers. So why study it?'
    The same could be said about economics or biology.
    Unfortunately, the teaching profession is filled -- as it had to always have been - with charlatans.
    Like the Roman Catholic Church, the bad are driving out the good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practicing CatholicApril 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

    Why would you put in a random nasty remark about the Catholic Church? It is irrelevant and makes you sound intolerant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments that contribute to the discussion are always welcome! Please note that spammy comments whose only purpose seems to be to direct traffic to a commercial site will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu