Skip to main content

Blended learning

Since the end of last spring, I've been kicking around the idea of listing my writing class as a 'hybrid' class - i.e., a class that meets partially online. There are already several weeks in the course where I 'cancel' one of the class meetings because students are working on drafts and reviews and there isn't really anything for us to talk about as a group. So instead of having class, I tell students they can come meet with me individually to discuss their writing. There are also some class days where I feel like we don't really need to be meeting, that it would be just as easy to accomplish what we are doing online. So it wouldn't be that big a stretch to formally move to a hybrid structure where we meet face-to-face once a week and the other class 'meeting' is online.

My department is also in the process of developing policies for handling the development of online (including hybrid) classes. We had some discussion last year when a colleague requested to teach Intermediate Micro online over the summer. Because it is a core required course, and because the material seems more difficult for students to fully understand if they do it online, the department decided not to allow that conversion*. On the other hand, we did allow a Comparative Systems course to be converted. And as more faculty have expressed interest in moving courses online, my chair has asked the Undergraduate Committee (which I chair) to come up with some policies to determine which classes can, and can't, be moved online, and to set some criteria and guidelines so we can make sure the online classes are as good as they can be.

One of the options for 'quality control' is to require faculty to go through some kind of training. Our ITS department has a formal training program for faculty who develop online courses for the summer but at this point, there isn't anything for those who just decide they want to convert a class during the regular year. But with fortuitous timing, our Center for Teaching and Learning recently sent out information about a free, open, online course on blended learning, Blendkit2012. The course starts Monday (Sept 24) and runs for six weeks. As stated on the website:
The goal of the BlendKit Course is to provide assistance in designing and developing your blended learning course via a consideration of key issues related to blended learning and practical step-by-step guidance in helping you produce actual materials for your blended course (i.e., from design documents through creating content pages to peer review feedback at your own institution).
Since I'm thinking about converting my class anyway, and I'm curious if this is something we could ask our faculty to complete if they want to start moving classes online, I've signed up for the course. It seems very flexible - I'm not entirely sure how much time I'll have but it looks like I can engage as much or as little as I want. I figure that if nothing else, the schedule and 'assignments' will help me focus. So over the next several weeks, my blog posts are likely to revolve around the course readings and discussions. If anyone else is interested in joining, check out the site at http://bit.ly/blendkit2012.

* Intermediate Micro, more than other courses, has so many graphs and models that student find confusing that it already is one of the tougher courses for students. I'm not saying it can't be done in a way that would be just as good as face-to-face but a) summer courses are already accelerated and b) our students, especially the ones taking summer courses, are not the most self-motivated students in the world so given the course is already challenging, and students need to understand the material so they can succeed in other courses, we didn't want to add the additional challenge of having them take it online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu