Skip to main content

'Switchtasking' in the classroom

Just read this interview with Dave Crenshaw, the author of The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done. I haven't read it but apparently, the book makes a distinction between 'background tasking' where you are doing things that do not really require your full attention (like listening to music while you work or exercise) and 'switchtasking' which involves doing things where you must actually shift your attention from one thing to another. Crenshaw's point is that switchtasking actually reduces your productivity, since you are constantly interrupting your flow.

His comments really resonated with me as I've been thinking a lot about multi-tasking lately, both in relation to my own life and in my classroom. As I've gotten more involved in social networks like Twitter and Facebook, not to mention having a growing number of blogs in my feed reader, I seem to have dramatically increased the possible distractions. I'm actually pretty good about ignoring things that I know can wait but there's no denying that I switch between work and my reader or Tweetdeck more often than I probably should (on the other hand, I recently realized that I haven't played any computer games in the last month so it's also possible that I've simply substituted social media for solitaire, which I certainly would consider a life improvement!).

But more urgently (given that classes start in a week), I really wonder about the detrimental effects of students who switchtask in class. A few months back, I wrote about the laptop in the classroom debate. I know that students will argue that they are totally capable of paying attention to the class AND whatever is happening on their screens (of course, even if you believe they can, there is also the issue of whether laptop use affects other students as well, but I'll ignore that for the moment). I'm not unsympathetic to that argument - I believe that the students who say it really do believe that it's true - I just can't quite buy it. Even if students can pick up on the gist of what was just said (that they didn't actually really hear because they were doing something on their computer), I just don't believe that the benefit is the same as it would be if they gave the class their full, undivided attention. Still, since I can't be sure how large the effect is, the economist in me is willing to leave the choice up to the students, at least for now.

Related posts:
Are laptops OK in the classroom?
Are laptops OK in the classroom II

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu