Skip to main content

Can you teach well without thinking about it?

This is sort of old news by now but the TIAA-CREF Institute released a study a few weeks ago that reports the results of a survey of new professors (within the first five years on the job). The answers that seemed to get the most attention were those about how prepared these individuals felt (or didn't feel) coming out of grad school; for example, the Chronicle highlights the finding that only about 30 percent of respondents felt their graduate educations effectively prepared them to teach undergrads or conduct research and only about 10 percent felt prepared for other job responsibilities like advising or committee work. Inside Higher Ed points out the confidence gap between men and women but also reports some of the differences in how much time men and women spend on household responsibilities.

Since I've already written about how I think professors are not trained as teachers, I won't add to that chorus again now. Instead, I wanted to point out one thing I saw in the survey results that I thought particularly odd. Even after some time on the job, when 76 percent say that they are working 'very effectively' at teaching undergraduates, only 61 percent can articulate their teaching philosophy (and only 54 percent feel effective at teaching with technology). These numbers were at 31 and 19 (20 for the technology question) when asked how they felt just after grad school so there is vast improvement on the job, but what I want to know is what's going on with the 15 percent who say they are teaching effectively but can't articulate their teaching philosophy*? I should point out that the survey was of professors at mid-size private Carnegie Masters institutions, which are generally more teaching-oriented, so it's not like these are schools where professors would not be expected to care about teaching. That just makes it seem all the more odd. If you haven't given some conscious thought to why you are doing what you're doing in the classroom, how can you really say that what you are doing is effective?
* When I say 15 percent, I am assuming that the 61 percent who can articulate their teaching philosophy are all part of the group that believe they are teaching effectively; of course, if there are some who are not in the latter group, that means there are even more who believe they are very effective at teaching but cannot articulate their teaching philosophy.

Related posts:
Where is the demand for better teachers?
Professors as teachers
Economists are not taught pedagogy

Comments

  1. Oddly enough, I'd been teaching for 17 years before anyone even asked me to articulate my teaching philosophy. So I guess I'm not too surprised that even people who think they're doing a decent job might find it difficult to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What doc said was what my comment was going to be. One can care about one's teaching and do a lot of thinking about it without articulating a philosophy. Indeed, as I've read lots of applications for teaching positions, I've wondered about the grandeous teaching philosophies of entry level teachers who've had little or no teaching experience. I'm not trying to demean the notion of a teaching philosophy, but to paraphrase a wise colleague, you can learn a lot more about a person's teaching philosophy from reading their blog, than the statement on their cv.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments that contribute to the discussion are always welcome! Please note that spammy comments whose only purpose seems to be to direct traffic to a commercial site will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu