Skip to main content

Student reaction to clickers

This is a follow-up to my previous post about how I use clickers in the 500-seat Micro Principles class.

Although I do not have direct evidence of how clickers impact student learning, I have survey responses to several questions about clickers (SDSU’s Instructional Technology Services provides a survey that they ask all clicker-using faculty to administer at the end of each semester). Responses to these questions suggest that students believe clickers help them learn and make them feel more involved:
  • Class clicker usage helps me to remember important course content: 80.6% strongly or somewhat agree; 7.3% strongly or somewhat disagree
  • Class clicker usage helps me focus on course content I should study outside of class: 70.9% strongly or somewhat agree; 9.7% strongly or somewhat disagree
  • Class clicker usage makes me more likely to attend class: 85% strongly or somewhat agree; 5.3% strongly or somewhat disagree
  • Class clicker usage helps me to feel more involved in class: 83.5% strongly or somewhat agree; 6.3% strongly or somewhat disagree
  • I understand why my professor is using clickers in this course: 94.7% strongly or somewhat agree; 0.97% strongly or somewhat disagree
  • My professor asks clicker questions which are important to my learning: 92.2% strongly or somewhat agree; 1.5% strongly or somewhat disagree
  • Buying the clicker and getting it working was worthwhile: 68% strongly or somewhat agree; 12.6% strongly or somewhat disagree
[These percentages are from Spring 2009 (n=206, 56% of enrollment). The percentage agreeing with these statements has risen each of the three semesters I’ve taught the large lecture and the percentage disagreeing has fallen.]

This doesn't mean students love clickers; the percentage that "would select a course section which uses clickers over another section of the same course which did not use clickers" or that "would like more professors to use clickers in their courses" are far smaller (41.7% and 53.4%, respectively). One question where I think the responses are quite telling is: "Class clicker usage makes the class feel smaller to me (less crowded, more intimate)": only 37.4% strongly or somewhat agree and 20.4% strongly or somewhat disagree (42.2% neither agree nor disagree). To me, this reinforces the difficulty of making a big class "seem small". I'm come to believe that it's pointless to try - a room that seats 500 students is never going to feel 'intimate', even if there are way fewer than 500 bodies sitting there. However, that doesn't mean that one can't use interactive techniques. The way I'd put it is that clickers have allowed me to continue teaching in a 'small-class style' even though it's a much larger section.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this insight into your use of clickers. Regarding the goal of making the class feel smaller (in spite of the 500 students in the room), do you have the students discuss (perhaps in pairs) their answers to clicker questions before voting? Or do they just vote independently?

    I would expect that small-group discussion prior to voting would help the class feel a little smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tell students that they CAN'T discuss their answers so even if I don't specifically instruct them to talk with their neighbors, there is generally some chatter during the response time. If a large portion of the class gets a question wrong the first time around, then I will specifically ask them to discuss their answers with neighbors and I re-ask the question. I do think that students end up feel more involved and engaged than they expected to but I just am not surprised that they don't really perceive the class as feeling 'small'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer, this is Kevin working with PowerCom, I'm glad that you shared your ideas about clickers. It's true that using clickers will help to boost learning for student, it promotes attentiveness and grabs audience attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments that contribute to the discussion are always welcome! Please note that spammy comments whose only purpose seems to be to direct traffic to a commercial site will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do...

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu...

Economics Education sessions at ASSA

If I missed any, please let me know... Jan 07, 2011 8:00 am , Sheraton, Director's Row H American Economic Association K-12 Economic and Financial Literacy Education (A2) Presiding: Richard MacDonald (St. Cloud State University) Teacher and Student Characteristics as Determinants of Success in High School Economics Classes Jody Hoff  (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco) Jane Lopus (California State University-East Bay) Rob Valletta (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco) [Download Preview] It Takes a Village: Determinants of the Efficacy of Financial Literacy Education for Elementary and Middle School Students Weiwei Chen (University of Memphis) Julie Heath (University of Memphis) Economics Understanding of Albanian High School Students: Student and Teacher Effects and Specific Concept Knowledge Dolore Bushati (University of Kansas) Barbara Phipps (University of Kansas) Lecture and Tutorial Attendance and Student Performance in t...