Skip to main content

Is it odd to ask students to revise someone else's writing?

Today was one of those days where my students seemed confused but I wasn't quite sure why. This time, it wasn't confusion about content (which by now, I can usually figure out); it was confusion about an assignment. In my writing class, the students had to write short data summary reports, the first drafts of which were due today. I paired them up with a classmate ('co-author') and in class, they were to read their teammate's paper, following some guidelines designed to help them assess the writing (e.g., 'can you generate a one-sentence summary of the report?', 'circle any terms that a non-economist might need defined', etc.) and discuss how to improve each report. Then for Wednesday, they must each independently revise both papers, that is, their own and that of their partner (each student wrote on a slightly different topic, though all were related to employment in some way). In class on Wednesday, they will then compare the two versions of each paper, ultimately deciding which version they want to submit for the team.

I am honestly not sure what it was that was so confusing to the students. I think they were OK with the idea of revising their own paper, but it was the request to revise their teammate's paper that was hard for them to grasp. Some thought that they were supposed to collaborate to produce one version of each paper for the team, which I can understand, but even once I explained that they should each write their own version, and they would be comparing and discussing the two versions on Wednesday, they seemed confused. Is it simply that they have never been asked to do something like this before?

This is the first time I'm trying this and maybe it just won't work. One of the reasons I am having them revise someone else's paper is that I think, in general, it is easier to recognize problems with a piece of writing than to fix those problems. While recognizing the problems is a good first step (and students generally find it easier to recognize good or bad writing when it is someone else's), I believe that it is the process of struggling to fix those problems that will really help these students improve their own writing. I could be wrong about that, and maybe the benefit of this exercise won't be worth the confusion. Wednesday should be interesting...

Comments

  1. I like the revision assignment very much, but I can certainly imagine that for many students it was an unfamiliar task. I would guess it was unfamiliar, because, as you suspected, they hadn't done it before, but also because most people still envision writing as a solitary activity. One might look at someone else's work and provide feedback, but to actually revise someone else's writing and work collaboratively to re-write an entire paper seems to run counter to what most of us believe about writing: that it is work we do alone. This leads to another great misconception about writing: that some are born with the ability to write well while others suffer from inherent writing disability.

    There may also be some hesitation due to questions of academic honesty or plagiarism, reflecting increasing concerns and confusion about intellectual property.

    Kudos on having students focus their attention on the process of writing. I hope they see the value of collaborative writing later on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments that contribute to the discussion are always welcome! Please note that spammy comments whose only purpose seems to be to direct traffic to a commercial site will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

What are the costs?

I came across an interesting discussion about a 19-year-old intern who was fired from The Gazette in Colorado Springs for plagiarism. There appears to be some controversy over the fact that the editor publicly named the girl in a letter to readers (explaining and apologizing for the plagiarism), with some people saying that doing so was unduly harsh because this incident will now follow her for the rest of her career. I was intrigued by this discussion for two reasons - one, it seems pretty clear to me that this was not a case of ignorance (as I have often encountered with my own students who have no idea how to paraphrase or cite correctly) and two, putting aside the offense itself, I have often struggled with how to handle situations where there are long-term repercussions for a student, repercussions that lead the overall costs to be far higher than might seem warranted for the specific situation. As an example of the latter issue, I have occasionally taught seniors who need to p

What was your high school economics experience like?

As I mentioned in my last post , I am asking my Econ for Teachers students to reflect on their reading by responding to discussion prompts. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to share my thoughts on those issues here and see if anyone wants to chime in. For this week, the students were asked to read the California and national content standards , an article by Mark Schug and others about why social science teachers dread teaching economics and how to overcome the dread, an article by William Walstad on the importance of economics for understanding the world around us and making better personal decisions (with some evidence on the dismal state of economic literacy in this country), and another article by Walstad on the status of economic education in high schools (full citations below). The reflection prompt asks the students to then answer the following questions: What was your high school econ experience like? What do you remember most from that class? How do

When is an exam "too hard"?

By now, you may have heard about the biology professor at Louisiana State (Baton Rouge) who was removed from teaching an intro course where "more than 90 percent of the students... were failing or had dropped the class." The majority of the comments on the Inside Higher Ed story about it are supportive of the professor, particularly given that it seems like the administration did not even talk to her about the situation before acting. I tend to fall in the "there's got to be more to the story so I'll reserve judgment" camp but the story definitely struck a nerve with me, partly because I recently spent 30 minutes "debating" with a student about whether the last midterm was "too hard" and the whole conversation was super-frustrating. To give some background: I give three midterms and a cumulative final, plus have clicker points and Aplia assignments that make up about 20% of the final grade. I do not curve individual exams but will cu